Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mormon Fluff

"When crises come in our lives--and they will--the philosophies of men interlaced with a few scriptures and poems just won't do. Are we really nurturing our youth and our new members in a way that will sustain them when the stresses of life appear? Or are we giving them a kind of theological Twinkie--spiritually empty calories? President John Taylor once called such teaching "fried froth," the kind of thing you could eat all day and yet finish feeling totally unsatisfied" ("A Teacher Come from God," Ensign, May 1998, 25).

So true. The human experience is so deep, complex, individual, yet universal, and somehow we find ourselves up to our teeth in "uplifting" stories that are little more than Mormon Fluff.

Now, I'm not raggin' on uplifting stories, because there are some substantial ones. I guess what I'm criticising are the cute little things I get forwarded (by people who hate me, I'm sure) that don't have any depth and probably aren't true.

I don't have much more to add, I just really liked this quote.

3 comments:

  1. One could argue that he meant that the soul craves good things, and can never get enough of them, but I don't think much of chain letters either, no matter their content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree re the chain letters. Not a good thing most of the time.

    I have a give-away running this week (and every week) on my blog at http://www.annebradshaw.blogspot.com.

    The prize this week is a signed copy of Dr. Stan Gardner's DVD of one of his lectures on the musculoskeletal system, entitled A Pain in the Neck (Back, Joints, and Other Places). This is brand new and not yet in stores. It will sell for $49.97 when available. The lecture is one hour twelve minutes. Super prize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chain letters? chain letters are one thing, but wasting time in sacrament meeting with lengthy "tear-jerker" poems and stories...that's a different matter. ka-barf. refined sugar is not good for your body, nor for your spirit.

    anyway, I also love that quote. I love your whole prog'mo blog.

    ReplyDelete